Friday, August 22, 2008

What in the... is this? And who in the... are you?

My name is Mitch Worthington. For four years, I worked as a sports writer and Sports Editor at the Idaho Falls Post Register, the largest-circulation paper in eastern Idaho and the second largest in the state besides the Idaho Statesman in Boise. I also worked at a couple of newspapers in Texas. Over seven years, I won a bunch of awards from state, regional and national press associations for everything from football game stories to 40-inch features about near-death comebacks to breaking news about sexual harassment involving a high school coach.

I've left that business now, and I'm finding I don't miss it much. The only thing I really wish I could still do is write columns. Sure, I loved covering games. I enjoyed chatting with the athletes, and I dug the adrenaline rush that came with filing stories on deadline. But to me, life is about so much more than what happened and how it happened -- it's about how it affects people, how it alters your view of the world, how it changes the way you live your life.

So, now that I'm back in a place and immersed in a sports scene I feel like I know as well as, if not better than, anyone, I'm gonna talk about it. Anything sports-related in Idaho and northern Utah is fair game -- from Utah Jazz basketball and BYU and Idaho State football all the way down to high school soccer, and anything in the middle. It'll be informative, but it will also be irreverent at times. Since I'm no longer affiliated with any specific news organization on a full-time basis, I can be opinionated, critical and homer-ish, all at the same time if I want.

At the very least, it should be a fun ride.

No comments: